Houston Texas Business Lawyer

Was Your Home or Business Flooded in Texas? We Will Help With Your Insurance Claim

Legal Assistance from Brewer & Pritchard, PC if You Have Filed a Claim or Intend to File

The May 2015 flooding in Texas resulted in devastation for many Texans. According to media reports, all the rain that fell in the month of May would have covered the entire state 8 inches deep.

Unfortunately, much of that rain ended up in homes and businesses, resulting in property damage and loss of income. Some businesses were forced to close for several days - critical time a business owner cannot get back.

But you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. If you are a homeowner or business owner with flood insurance, you can make a flood claim through your insurance company.

Homeowner insurance policies do not cover floods, so you will need to make sure you have flood coverage. The Federal Emergency Management Agency's National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) controls most of these policies, but policyholders must abide by the program's rules.

As a special service, Brewer & Pritchard, P.C., has outlined the steps to take if you are a homeowner or business owner in Texas who was financially harmed because of the impact of the flooding in May.

We encourage you to first make a claim, and then call Brewer & Pritchard, P.C., at 800-445-8710. The insurance companies notoriously have been slow to respond to such claims. Or, when they do respond, they may not pay as much as you deserve. That's why it's wise to have an experienced attorney working on your behalf.

If you've already submitted your claim and are not getting the help you need, call us today and find out what an experienced attorney can do for you.

Steps to Take if You Were Affected By Flooding

  1. If you haven't already done so, contact your agent or insurance company to file a claim. Have your policy number ready. Click here for more information from the government about filing a flood claim. Within a few days, expect an adjuster to visit your property to conduct an appraisal.
  2. If you have not heard from the adjuster after a few days, contact your insurance company again. Contact us at Brewer & Pritchard if you feel like the insurance company is dragging its feet. The company must start investigating the claim within 15 days after receiving written notice.
  3. If you haven't already done so, separate the damaged belongings from the undamaged belongings. Be sure to photograph your damaged or destroyed items and take pictures of structural damage. Make a list of the damaged items, including the date of purchase, value of the item and receipts, if you have them.
  4. You will need to complete a Proof of Loss form, provided by your adjuster, for your official claim for damages. The 60-day deadline to file this claim with your insurance company has been extended by FEMA to 240 days. NFIP requires flood victims to submit a Proof of Loss form to substantiate the insurance claim. Visit FEMA's website here to find out more about filing a Proof of Loss form.
  5. Keep a record of your communications with the insurance company. Record the date and time of the conversation, the name of the person from the insurance company and a summary of what was said.
  6. When the adjuster visits your business or home to investigate the damage, be sure to let the adjuster know that you have gathered evidence of damage, but tell him or her there may be other damage that you have not noticed.
  7. Your insurance company will notify you in writing if your policy covers the damage and will provide an initial damage estimate.
  8. After you agree on an amount for damages (and you've completed the Proof of Loss form), you should receive a claim payment from your insurance company. Your insurance company has five business days to send you a check. If you don't receive your check within that time frame, call Brewer & Pritchard for help.
  9. You should NOT sign the Proof of Loss form if you disagree with the amount of damage or the amount of money you are getting from the insurance company. If you disagree with the insurance company, get estimates from a contractor. That way, you can make a comparison between the contractor's estimate and the insurance company's offer. Remember, you must complete the process within 240 days of the flooding in May.
  10. Don't hesitate to contact Brewer & Pritchard, LLC, with any questions about your flood claim, whether you are a business owner or homeowner. Call 800-445-8710 for a consultation.